Tourists may travel to and from Sao Gabriel via plane or boat from Manaus, AM, Brazil.
United States to Manaus:
American Airlines is one of your best options. They have a generous allowance of one carry-on (45”– 22 x 14 x 9) plus one personal item (36”) as well as 2 checked bags weighing a maximum 70 pounds each and 62”. Other airlines with flights to Manaus are TAM and COPA Airlines.
Travel via plane to Sao Gabriel from Manaus:
NOTE: Because of the different luggage rules/weights between international flights and MAP Airlines we understand packing and planning can be difficult. After booking with us you will receive a detailed “Orientation Packet” that will provide helpful details how to pack and prepare.
MAP Airlines provides flights to/from São Gabriel and the regional airport in Manaus, AM, Brazil on Sundays and Wednesdays. You are allowed one carry-on item that weighs no more than 5 kilograms (11 pounds) and is no larger than 35cm X 55cm X 25cm (13.7in X 21.6in X 9.8in). You are allowed a weight limit of 23 kilograms (50 pounds) for checked baggage.
Travel to São Gabriel via Fast Boat:
Traveling by a Tanaka fast boat is about a 25 hour journey from Manaus to São Gabriel and about half the cost of a flight. Meals are provided. Travel departure dates are Tuesdays and Fridays leaving Manaus in the afternoon and leaving São Gabriel in the morning. (See FAQs for more information.) Overnighting in Manaus: You will need hotel reservations. Contact us for more information.
The following is very important: You will need a Brazilian tourist visa to enter Brazil. This is in addition to your passport and must be applied for ahead of time. We suggest the following:
1. Getting a Brazilian tourist visa can be complicated, so we suggest using a processing agency such as
www.brazil.travisa.com or www.visacentral.com. However, we understand this can be costly, so explore your options before making a decision. If you have any questions, please let us know and we can guide you through this process.
2. When you apply for the visa, you must have specific dates of travel. These dates can be proven via either a copy of your booked itinerary/reservation produced by a travel agent, if tickets have not yet been bought, or you can provide a copy of your purchased round-trip tickets. You can’t just go online or go to the airport and apply for a visa as it must be done ahead of time.
3. Pricing may vary, but currently according to the Brazilian consulate, for example, in Atlanta, GA, your tourist visa will cost $160 (not including any visa processing agency fees) and will be good for 10 years and for visits to Brazil up to three months in length.
4. You will need to provide the following address of where you will be staying in Brazil:
Hotel Deus Me Deu
Ave. Castelo Branco
69750-000 São Gabriel da Cachoeira, AM
Phone number: +55 97-3471- 1395
5. For more information about the visa process, please read the information carefully at the following link:
You will also need to purchase Travelers Insurance before the trip. If you don’t already have something, a suggested company for Travelers Insurance is Gallagher. Visit their website and select Short Term Travel Insurance.
On average, the cost is $3.30 American dollars per day per person. Note this is subject to change with fluctuating change and insurance rates.